HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
THE CRESCENT PUB CLOSURE PERMANENT ‘UNLESS MIRACLE OCCURS’
 

Star date: 9th August 2017

SALFORD PUB CLOSURE FAULT OF CHINESE OWNERS SAYS BAR WORKER

A lack of investment by the Chinese owners, "daft rent" and dwindling custom were responsible for the closure of the historic pub The Crescent, according to Nick Baguley, who worked part time behind the bar for five and a half years. 

While notices outside the Grade II listed pub state that it is 'closed until further notice', Nick says that "Unless a miracle occurs then it's permanent".

Full details here...


There was shock, anger and disbelief when the Salford Star revealed on Monday that The Crescent pub had 'closed until further notice' (see previous article – click here).

Staff at The Crescent had been serving drinks on Sunday night and the closure of one of the city's most well known and historic pubs took everyone by surprise. For Nick Baguley, who worked behind the bar part time for five and a half years, the writing was on the wall...

"The pub was sold a while back to a Chinese consortium, who have been incredibly secretive about their plans for the place" he explains "At one point they said they would help by fixing the roof, toilets etc. Sadly they recently changed their minds and have been demanding daft amounts of rent each week: money we simply didn't have...

"There was that, and the fact that a lot of people just don't bother with the place anymore" he adds "Fair enough, we have loyal regulars and we receive rave reviews on Trip Advisor and social media sites commenting on how good the food is and how friendly the staff are; saying how they plan on coming back very soon...yet you'll pop in after work and there'll be two people sat in the corner."

Many people thought that the 'closed until further notice' signs held out a glimmer that The Crescent might re-open. But Nick reckons there's very little chance of that... "Unless a miracle occurs then it's permanent" he says.

There is some hope that the building can be saved as it is Grade II listed, and also, in September 2016, The Crescent was denoted as an Asset of Community Value by Salford City Council, following an application by the Crescent Pub Conservation Club.

This recognised that The Crescent 'furthers the social wellbeing or social interests of the local community' and, under Section 88 of the Localism Act, if the owner wants to 'dispose' of the property the community has the right to bid for it.

The Act is a bit toothless as the Council decision adds that "The provisions do not restrict in any way who the owner of a listed asset can sell their property to or at what price. Nor do they confer a first right of refusal to community interest groups..."

Plus the Chinese investors, Kaixiang Liu and Caiwen Ban, who bought The Crescent in June 2016 for a stated price of £325,000, might not wish to 'dispose' of it; but rather, as is feared, knock it down to build more unaffordable flats along the Crescent.

At the moment there has been no word from the owners about their intentions for the historic pub...

Julie wrote
at 9:28:05 AM on Monday, August 14, 2017
Maybe some of the secret funding that is keeping all the sports alive in the city should be used to keep the heritage too
 
Linda Robson wrote
at 11:43:02 AM on Friday, August 11, 2017
Respect to Gerry and the team for keeping The Crescent going thus far but it's impossible for the pub to move forward without some investment. As a business neighbour I am acutely aware of how the closure of the Crescent could impact negatively on nearby businesses and appeal to the current owners to do something but please do not build another block of flats! Where are these residents supposed to socialise/spend their cash/find out what Salford is really about/etc when our cultural centres are being dessimated with demolition? Perhaps the building refurb might look like some housing (probably unaffordable for local people) but combined with the adjoining public house. Please preserve the building and the pub, we can't bear to see another landmark lost to Salford forever!! :(
 
Graeme Wright wrote
at 11:28:53 PM on Wednesday, August 9, 2017
Surely with Grade II listing it would be very difficult for the investor/owners to have the building demolished to pave the way for more financially viable apartments. Hopefully Salford Council will sit up and take notice of this - a long shot I know - and step in to take control of a situation which could so easily get out of hand
 
The end wrote
at 11:32:51 AM on Wednesday, August 9, 2017
Pub closes due to lack of customers- what shock!! How many of you commenting actually went in there for a drink? None I bet
 
Mary ferrer wrote
at 8:22:15 AM on Wednesday, August 9, 2017
When the pub was painted green,I know for a fact the council were challenged as to why they had allowed a grade 2 listed building get such a drastic change in look. They did sod all.don't know if that area of the crescent is in aconservation area. If not we could try to make the area from the pub going back in the direction of McDonald's. Most of that area hasn't been touched by Mr Done,yet.mosthe of the buildings have history and are very elegant.We haven't much left,we need to do what we can to put a stop to the destruction of what bit of our heritage and history we have left.We can't trust this council and the officers of Salford to have OUR best interests at heart. We need to act NOW
 
UoS@hotmail.com wrote
at 8:21:50 AM on Wednesday, August 9, 2017
Thanks for following up on this Steve. It is more bad news though. What is to be left of the place by which you can actually call it Salford anymore? No heritage. No affordable flats. I didn't realise the Salford City Council was required to run the City in the interests of people who don't live there.
 
Michael James Felse wrote
at 3:47:01 AM on Wednesday, August 9, 2017
I enjoyed going into The Crescent for a good lunch time when I worked on Chapel Street. The word was the new developments would bring in trade to increase its customer numbers. If I was on the Council I would be demanding answers along with more and more answers about our Salford's future.
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Brexit Salford
stephensons ad 1
Salford Star Hoodies
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: COURT THROWS OUT SALFORD SCHOOL FINE FOR MUM WHO KEPT SERIOUSLY ILL SON AT HOME
Martin Steven, how lucky you are to have a child healthy enough to follow that law, the article isn't about staying off school for... [more]
article: COURT THROWS OUT SALFORD SCHOOL FINE FOR MUM WHO KEPT SERIOUSLY ILL SON AT HOME
I worked at RMCH and knew both Ben & Jacob and both kids were poorly, when they came to Hosp after having an asthma attack they us... [more]
article: FIVE CANDIDATES TO STAND IN SALFORD LANGWORTHY BY-ELECTION
'If I can dream' by Elvis Presley. WOW - yes I get you Mr Felse. What a great thing those words can bring. Thank you for your grea... [more]
article: FIVE CANDIDATES TO STAND IN SALFORD LANGWORTHY BY-ELECTION
Greetings to all in Salford today from Birmingham's Motorcycle Live 2017 Show. This City has rebuilt itself into the spectacular l... [more]
article: COURT THROWS OUT SALFORD SCHOOL FINE FOR MUM WHO KEPT SERIOUSLY ILL SON AT HOME
Oh my god that's disgusting and just so disrespectful my heart goes out to you.my daughter is 14 and goes to that school and I hav... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

SALFORD POLIO SUFFERER WAS TRAPPED UPSTAIRS FOR THREE MONTHS AS HOUSING ASSOCIATION WON’T FIT LIFT

Star date: 23rd November 2017  

DISABLED SALIX HOMES TENANT TOLD TO FIND NEW PROPERTY

Salix Homes tenant, Thomas West, has a worsening polio condition that meant the stairlift at his house in Weaste needed alterations but then kept breaking down, leaving him trapped upstairs for three months at one point.

Thomas has been advised by Salford Council that he needs a vertical lift fitted but Salix Homes state it is against their policy and have asked him to consider moving to 'more suitable accommodation'... "I don't want to move" he says, suspecting financial concerns are being put before his needs.

Full details here...

COURT THROWS OUT SALFORD SCHOOL FINE FOR MUM WHO KEPT SERIOUSLY ILL SON AT HOME

Star date: 22nd November 2017

HIS BROTHER HAD ALREADY DIED OF SAME ILLNESS BUT 'HEARTLESS' SCHOOL FINED MUM FOR UNAUTHORISED ABSENCES

"He wasn't going out enjoying himself; he was actually at home trying to breathe..."

A judge at Manchester and Salford Magistrates' Court has thrown out a fine given by Buile Hill Visual Arts College to mum, Nicola Newns, for 'unauthorised absences' of her son, Jacob, despite him suffering from the same serious illness that tragically took the life of his younger brother, Ben, a few years ago.

Court papers showed that the school complained it took them two hours once to contact Nicola – when she was actually in an ambulance with Jacob on the way to A&E; and then couldn't contact her for four days...when she was sat by his bed in intensive care "Praying he gets better".

Full details here...

GREATER MANCHESTER PRE-BUDGET RALLY HEARS CALLS TO BRING DOWN TORY GOVERNMENT

Star date: 21st November 2017

'ARROGANT AND CRUEL' TORY GOVERNMENT GOT TO GO SAY JULIE HESMONDHALGH, TRADE UNIONISTS AND LABOUR COUNCILLORS

Tonight, a Pre-Budget rally on the steps of GMex in Manchester heard constant calls for the 'arrogant and cruel' Tory Government to be brought down.

Speakers at the Manchester People's Assembly rally included trade unionists, Labour Party councillors, the Canon of Manchester Cathedral, plus a message from Julie Hesmondhalgh condemning the Tories' "Unspeakable acts of injustice...against the most vulnerable in our society".

Full details here...

SALFORD SALIX HOMES DISABLED RESIDENT SUICIDE ATTEMPT AS CRIES FOR HELP IGNORED

Star date: 21st November 2017

'HORRIFIED' PARENTS TELL OF SALIX 'TURNING BACK' ON DISABLED SON 

"We can't understand how anyone can let a company do this to a vulnerable person forcing him to try and take his own life..."

The parents of a disabled man living in a Salix Homes flat off Blackfriars Road have written to the Salford City Mayor, Salford MP and local councillors after their son tried to commit suicide in a motorway car park.

The email states that Salix refused to help deal with anti-social behaviour and disability access issues, and "refused to accept that he is even disabled" despite him receiving full PIP... "The fact that his urgent cries for help have been ignored and his landlords have turned their back on him and instructed solicitors rather than provide the help that he urgently needs is horrifying".

Full details and email here...

NEW NETPOL REPORT SHOWS POLICE USING INCREASINGLY VIOLENT TACTICS AGAINST ANTI-FRACKING PROTESTERS

Star date: 20th November 2017

NETPOL CALLS FOR 'URGENT EXTERNAL REVIEW' OF ANTI-FRACKING POLICING

"Our fundamental right to protest is being eroded by ever more oppressive policing" Keith Taylor, MEP

Community watchdog, Netpol, has today published a damning report on the policing of anti-fracking protests over the last year, which shows police using "increasingly confrontational and violent tactics against protesters", and calls for an 'urgent' and 'external review' of policy.

The report states Netpol has seen evidence of "police officers pushing people into hedges, knocking campaigners unconscious, violently dragging older people across the road and shoving others into speeding traffic..."

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx