HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
SALFORD SEES ‘WORRYING’ RISE IN CRIME PARTICULARLY IN BROUGHTON
 

Star date: 16th March 2017

VIOLENT CRIME UP 15%, BURGLARY UP 12%, OVERALL CRIME UP 7%

At yesterday's full meeting of Salford City Council, figures were disclosed showing an upsurge of crime in the city after reductions over the last few years. Violent crime is up 15%; burglary, particularly in Broughton, is up 12%; hate crime is up 4% and, overall, all types of crime has risen by 7%.

Councillor David Lancaster, Lead Member for Community Safety, said "the trend is worrying to say the least".

Full details here...


At yesterday's full council meeting, as Salford City Mayor, Paul Dennett, spoke of the city's success in attracting investment and development, a question from Broughton Councillor, Jim King, showed the reverse side of the equation.

Councillor King asked for a comment on the fact that crime in his ward of Broughton had gone up by 8%, to which Councillor David Lancaster, Lead Member for Community Safety, responded that burglary from dwellings, particularly in Broughton, had actually gone up by 12% over the last twelve months, February 2016 to February 2017.

"Crime and disorder has been reducing in Salford for the last three years" he explained "This year the trend is worrying to say the least..."

He then gave the latest crime figures which show that overall crime in Salford has risen by 7% - with violent crime up 15%, stealing up 3%, hate crime, particularly in Kersal, up 4%, theft from vehicles up 2% and domestic related crime up 1%. Meanwhile, theft of cars has reduced and anti-social behaviour has fallen by 3%.

"We've got to strive to improve it" said Councillor Lancaster, adding that the crime figures are only based on reported crime, urging residents to report all crimes even if it means the figures rising again... "We're always being told it's not a correct record of what's happening on the ground..."

He explained that the Greater Manchester Police budget had been reduced by £118million* since 2010, that there were now two thousand fewer officers - "a massive fall" – and that the number of PCSOs - which made a "massive difference" - had been reduced significantly... "However" he added "This year the Police Commissioner has agreed we should recruit more PCSOs."

Salford's overall crime rise of 7%, Councillor Lancaster explained, compared favourably with Greater Manchester as a whole, which saw all crimes increase by 10% on average...

Specifically for Salford, he concluded, "We have an action plan in place at hotspots, and hopefully we will have some success..."


Update: 19th March

As the Councillor Lancaster response was a verbal report, the Star misheard the amount of cuts, which were meant to be a £180million cut. The real figure is actually £183million cut. The Star is happy to set the record straight.

Arnold Rimmer wrote
at 10:05:17 AM on Thursday, March 23, 2017
Didn't GMP have their wrist slapped for not recording or mis-recording 25% of crimes the other year. If they've fixed that, then the increase is just the more accurate reporting and not an increase in the crimes themselves.
 
Reap what you sow wrote
at 8:34:41 AM on Friday, March 17, 2017
It makes you wonder whether breaking up existing communities and replacing them with new "better" ones has anything to do with this.
 
MPG wrote
at 1:41:17 AM on Friday, March 17, 2017
This is the typical officers working for GMP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxI4ToNKGQ The officer has a very checkered past, would you call the police if this is who may turn up. This is why they don't investigate crime, too busy working for the corporations, councils and baliffs.
 
Escobar Central wrote
at 4:31:24 PM on Thursday, March 16, 2017
When you walk down the high street and your children ask you what's that smell!!! Oh yes children its the smell of Cannabis!!! Drug pushers flogging there merchandise to School children, Drug deals going down on the High street in daylight!!! They need to increase police numbers and not substitute them
 
Gareth L wrote
at 12:12:10 PM on Thursday, March 16, 2017
Do the crime statistics take into account the increase in population? Are they per capita or reported incidents?
 
part time socailist wrote
at 7:10:03 AM on Thursday, March 16, 2017
Reality check we have a None seen Labour Crime Commissioner, PCSOs who in reality are glorified traffic wardens and no Police. Half the crime goes unreported and what does they get a slap on the wrist and a warning. Policing in this city is none existent, when did you last see a copper walking down your street? unless you where speeding or a anti fracker. Labour say it's a worry try bloody living amongst it.
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
SLADS
Salford Live Events
Salford Star contact
Salford Star
Salford Star print
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SALIX HOMES TO STRIP CLADDING FROM SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS
Just one question, who is going to pay the cost of all this? Becky Long face thinks the government should.Does she need to be remi... [more]
article: GILL’S SALFORD STARS MORRIS DANCERS HIT THIRTY YEARS
is there training for beginners my little girl is 4 and want her to start she nearly 5 ... [more]
article: SALFORD RESIDENTS BEING KEPT IN DARK OVER TOWER BLOCK DANGER
Be very interesting to see if Alumasc have tested their EPS White and EPS Grey system to BS 8414-1:2002 - Fire performance of exte... [more]
article: SALIX HOMES TO STRIP CLADDING FROM SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS
What I just dont get. When Seddon or whichever contractor was contracted. Did the Manager/director or customer panel not ask is cl... [more]
article: SALIX HOMES TO STRIP CLADDING FROM SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS
It would seem that the Salford Housing Associations are going back to the 60's Retro Look. Once they remove all of Cladding from t... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

HOW IMAGE LED SALFORD TOWER BLOCK CLADDING CATASTROPHE

Star date: 26th June 2017

IMAGE OBSESSION AND CLADDING UNVEILED

Recently, Salford City Council has been obsessed by the image of the city, desperately trying to move away from the 'Dirty Old Town', to something like Milton Keynes on the Irwell.

Has this obsession with image and wrapping tower blocks in unsafe materials led, in line with other cities, to the current cladding catastrophe? Here the Salford Star documents what's been going on behind the fancy facades...

Full details here...

SALIX HOMES TO STRIP CLADDING FROM SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS

Star date: 25th June 2017

SALIX HOMES CLADDING TO BE REMOVED AFTER TESTS

After Salford Council announced it was removing cladding from nine Pendleton Together tower blocks, this afternoon Salix Homes has informed residents that it is removing cladding from Canon Hussey Court on the Islington Estate.

In a letter to residents, Salix states that "the cladding sample provided for Canon Hussey Court has been identified as a higher risk component". Work to remove "affected cladding" will begin this week. The Salford Star understands that cladding is also to be removed from other blocks.

Full details here...

SALFORD PALS HONOURED IN NEW PLAY FOR GM FRINGE

Star date: 25th June 2017

GREATER MANCHESTER FRINGE COMES TO SALFORD

From Heaven To Hell
Saturday 1st- Monday 3rd July
Salford Arts Theatre £8

The excellent Greater Manchester Fringe arrives at the Salford Arts Theatre this year via a new play honouring the sacrifice made by local heroes at the Battle of the Somme, written by Danny Clifford and directed by Sue Jenkins.

Full details here...

NO TIMETABLE FOR THE REMOVAL OF CLADDING ON NINE SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS

Star date: 25th June 2017

IT COULD BE MONTHS BEFORE CLADDING REMOVED IN SALFORD

"There will be no waiting around in Salford whilst there are any questions about the safety of our residents..."

On Friday, Salford City Mayor Paul Dennett announced that cladding on nine Pendleton Together tower blocks was to be removed... "We take the safety of our residents very seriously and are taking immediate steps" he declared.

Yesterday, residents were told by Pendleton Together that the cladding will not be removed until replacement material is ready to go up – which could take months. And new fire safety advice has been issued, to leave not stay in the event of a fire.

Full details here... Update: 12noon: Cladding is now being removed 'immediately'

SALFORD RESIDENTS BEING KEPT IN DARK OVER TOWER BLOCK DANGER

Star date: 24th June 2017

POTENTIALLY TOXIC CLADDING IN OVER A DOZEN SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS

At yesterday's press conference, Salford City Mayor, Paul Dennett, said that removing cladding on the nine Pendleton tower blocks was the "right and moral thing to do". Yet Salford City Council knows every component in all cladding in the city which planning officers have passed, and has not disclosed this information.

The Salford Star has investigated, as far as it can, the cladding and materials used in tower block refurbishment and the results are frightening...Materials used on Magnolia Court, Sycamore Court and Mulberry Court should avoid "Exposed heat, flames and/or sparks"; Arthur Millwood Court and Canon Hussey Court are fitted with panels from the same manufacturer as Grenfell Tower, and there's more.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx