Today, on Kersal Moor, members of the Old Manchester Golf Club played a ceremonial game of golf in traditional garb to mark two hundred years since the first game was played there in 1818.
The Old Manchester Golf Club was the first between the rivers Tweed and Thames, and is the second oldest club in England. Originally begun with games on Kersal Moor, the Club was moved by the Clowes family to Broughton Park, before finding a new home on Kersal Dale, with its pavilion on Vine Street.
On Kersal Dale, you can still see the outline of the now overgrown course (see photo and follow the map). The Club still exists but members play on different courses around Greater Manchester for a huge old Centenary Cup, first presented in 1837.
Today was all about its original home on Kersal Moor, and a ceremonial plaque recording the 200th anniversary and this afternoon's event was unveiled by Peter Connor, Salford's Ceremonial Mayor, who referred to the Moor's long history for sport and recreation.
Members of the Club, numbering around fifty, were joined by Friends of Kersal Moor, as the plaque was unveiled close to the entrance to the Moor. The members then retired to the Salford City Football Club for refreshments and a presentation.
"The Friends of Kersal Moor were very pleased to see another event in the history of the Moor being recorded" says Alice Searle from the Friends "Very few Salford people seem to know how varied and interested the history of the Moor is."
The plaque, now stationed near the Chartist monument on Moor Lane reads: 'On this site in 1818 the Old Manchester Golf Club played their first game. On May 7th 2018 they returned to play a ceremonial game to celebrate their bi-centenary...'
Photo by Alice Searle