HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
MANCHESTER LEGAL ACTION AGAINST GOVERNMENT FRACKING DRAWS SUPPORT OUTSIDE COURT
 

Star date: 15th March 2017

LANCASHIRE COMMUNITY TAKES GOVERNMENT TO COURT TO OVERTURN FRACKING DECISION

Anti fracking campaigners were present outside Manchester Civil Justice Centre this morning to support an appeal against the decision by the Secretary of State, Sajid Javid, to overturn Lancashire County Council's democratic refusal of Cuadrilla's application to frack four wells at a site near Blackpool.

"Local democracy was overturned by the Secretary of State" said Claire Stephenson of Preston New Road Action Group "We seek to have the decision declared unjust and quashed."

Full details here...


Anti-fracking Campaigners Outside Manchester Civil Justice Centre Anti-fracking Campaigners Outside Manchester Civil Justice Centre
click image to enlarge

Over 18 months ago, Lancashire County Council listened to its community and rejected two fracking planning applications by Cuadrilla for sites in Fylde. Since then, the Tory Government Secretary of State has overturned the decision, in what Greenpeace UK stated was an "unprecedented move...[that] makes a mockery out of local democracy..." (see previous Salford Star article – click here)

Now, with Cuadrilla preparing the site, despite daily protests and a huge police presence, the Lancashire community is taking the Government to court, with two separate judicial reviews appealing the decision to fly in the face of local democracy.

This morning, campaigners from Frack Free Greater Manchester and Preston New Road Action Group were outside Manchester Civil Justice Centre, to support the legal action being taken by Preston New Road Action Group and Gayzer Frackman.

The campaigners had a symbolic 'red line' with them to symbolise the red line on the environment that must not be crossed by fracking.

"We have consistently, through legal process, fought to have the voice of local residents heard" said Claire Stephenson from Preston New Road Action Group "The voice of our community was loud and strong, and our council said no to fracking.
 
"Local democracy was overturned by the Secretary of State" she added "Sajid Javid has not visited or engaged with the communities that would be affected to understand the real impacts of his decision. We seek to have the decision declared unjust and quashed.
 
"Dismantling local democracy was the only way this industry and central government could force fracking down the throats of unwilling local residents" she explained "There is no social licence to frack Lancashire."

Judy Paskell, from Frack Free Greater Manchester, added: "We in Frack Free Greater Manchester stand shoulder to shoulder with the communities who are fighting to keep fracking - a filthy industry that pollutes water, makes people ill and worsens climate change - out of Lancashire and out of the UK.

"We have already persuaded companies in the Greater Manchester area to stop supplying the fracking site near Blackpool" she said "If the court overturns the Government's disgraceful decision to allow fracking at this site, that will be a landmark victory. We can win!"

The case is expected to continue until Friday...


Photos courtesy of Manchester Friends of the Earth

M K Dodd wrote
at 2:43:25 PM on Friday, March 17, 2017
Leave shale gas where it is until we find a more civilised and environmentally sustainable means of getting it. Meanwhile it remains as an asset for future generations.
 
Cancer, birth defects, illness wrote
at 2:04:38 AM on Thursday, March 16, 2017
The facts are clear. Fracking is dangerous. Contaminates air, land and water. Fracking fluid causes birth defects, illness, cancers. Gas leaking from wells adds to global warming. All wells will have leaked within 15 years of operation, backed by research in US. Lord Brown (BP, deep water Horizon disaster) has been filling key position with fracking supporters. Fracking fluid was dumped in Manchester ship canal. Salford council and GMP support fracking and have spent £10,000s supporting IGAS IGAS share less than 6p and will be taken over soon, likely by Cuadrilla. There is a pattern of small companies starting the drilling and taking all the flack and then being taken over by one of the main players
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
SLADS
Salford Live Events
Salford Star contact
Salford Star
Salford Star print
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SALIX HOMES TO STRIP CLADDING FROM SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS
Just one question, who is going to pay the cost of all this? Becky Long face thinks the government should.Does she need to be remi... [more]
article: GILL’S SALFORD STARS MORRIS DANCERS HIT THIRTY YEARS
is there training for beginners my little girl is 4 and want her to start she nearly 5 ... [more]
article: SALFORD RESIDENTS BEING KEPT IN DARK OVER TOWER BLOCK DANGER
Be very interesting to see if Alumasc have tested their EPS White and EPS Grey system to BS 8414-1:2002 - Fire performance of exte... [more]
article: SALIX HOMES TO STRIP CLADDING FROM SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS
What I just dont get. When Seddon or whichever contractor was contracted. Did the Manager/director or customer panel not ask is cl... [more]
article: SALIX HOMES TO STRIP CLADDING FROM SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS
It would seem that the Salford Housing Associations are going back to the 60's Retro Look. Once they remove all of Cladding from t... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

HOW IMAGE LED SALFORD TOWER BLOCK CLADDING CATASTROPHE

Star date: 26th June 2017

IMAGE OBSESSION AND CLADDING UNVEILED

Recently, Salford City Council has been obsessed by the image of the city, desperately trying to move away from the 'Dirty Old Town', to something like Milton Keynes on the Irwell.

Has this obsession with image and wrapping tower blocks in unsafe materials led, in line with other cities, to the current cladding catastrophe? Here the Salford Star documents what's been going on behind the fancy facades...

Full details here...

SALIX HOMES TO STRIP CLADDING FROM SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS

Star date: 25th June 2017

SALIX HOMES CLADDING TO BE REMOVED AFTER TESTS

After Salford Council announced it was removing cladding from nine Pendleton Together tower blocks, this afternoon Salix Homes has informed residents that it is removing cladding from Canon Hussey Court on the Islington Estate.

In a letter to residents, Salix states that "the cladding sample provided for Canon Hussey Court has been identified as a higher risk component". Work to remove "affected cladding" will begin this week. The Salford Star understands that cladding is also to be removed from other blocks.

Full details here...

SALFORD PALS HONOURED IN NEW PLAY FOR GM FRINGE

Star date: 25th June 2017

GREATER MANCHESTER FRINGE COMES TO SALFORD

From Heaven To Hell
Saturday 1st- Monday 3rd July
Salford Arts Theatre £8

The excellent Greater Manchester Fringe arrives at the Salford Arts Theatre this year via a new play honouring the sacrifice made by local heroes at the Battle of the Somme, written by Danny Clifford and directed by Sue Jenkins.

Full details here...

NO TIMETABLE FOR THE REMOVAL OF CLADDING ON NINE SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS

Star date: 25th June 2017

IT COULD BE MONTHS BEFORE CLADDING REMOVED IN SALFORD

"There will be no waiting around in Salford whilst there are any questions about the safety of our residents..."

On Friday, Salford City Mayor Paul Dennett announced that cladding on nine Pendleton Together tower blocks was to be removed... "We take the safety of our residents very seriously and are taking immediate steps" he declared.

Yesterday, residents were told by Pendleton Together that the cladding will not be removed until replacement material is ready to go up – which could take months. And new fire safety advice has been issued, to leave not stay in the event of a fire.

Full details here... Update: 12noon: Cladding is now being removed 'immediately'

SALFORD RESIDENTS BEING KEPT IN DARK OVER TOWER BLOCK DANGER

Star date: 24th June 2017

POTENTIALLY TOXIC CLADDING IN OVER A DOZEN SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS

At yesterday's press conference, Salford City Mayor, Paul Dennett, said that removing cladding on the nine Pendleton tower blocks was the "right and moral thing to do". Yet Salford City Council knows every component in all cladding in the city which planning officers have passed, and has not disclosed this information.

The Salford Star has investigated, as far as it can, the cladding and materials used in tower block refurbishment and the results are frightening...Materials used on Magnolia Court, Sycamore Court and Mulberry Court should avoid "Exposed heat, flames and/or sparks"; Arthur Millwood Court and Canon Hussey Court are fitted with panels from the same manufacturer as Grenfell Tower, and there's more.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx