HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
SALFORD CITY COUNCIL BLANKS COMMUNITY BID FOR BUILE HILL MANSION
 

Star date: 14th February 2017

MANSION BID IGNORED BY COUNCIL FOR FIVE MONTHS!

A community bid to take over the derelict Buile Hill Mansion has been blanked by Salford City Council and its joint venture company, Urban Vision, for five months.

Three groups, led by Salford Red Devils Foundation, submitted an expression of interest after the Mansion was advertised for sale last September but, so far, they have not even had an acknowledgement of the bid... "It's very frustrating" says John Blackburn of the Foundation "The potential is there to do something for the people of Salford."

Full details here...


Buile Hill Park Mansion Buile Hill Park Mansion Buile Hill Park Mansion
click image to enlarge

It was at the end of last summer when Salford City Council's joint venture company, Urban Vision, advertised the Grade II listed Buile Hill Park Mansion for sale at a 'nominal rent', asking for 'informal tenders' by September 16th.

A community bid and expression of interest for the historic building was lodged by Salford Red Devils Foundation with the Sounds of Salford Radio and the Irwell Valley Mining Project by that date – but nothing has been heard since.

"It's very frustrating" says John Blackburn of the Foundation "As well as the three organisations that put in the bid we have support from other community groups, commercial groups and entrepreneurs, as well as interest from the Lottery.

"But Urban Vision has just not responded and we're still waiting for some official feedback after five months; we can't even get a meeting" he adds "I just think it's unprofessional because we can't get a proper survey done or compile a schedule or anything. It's very frustrating. The potential is there to do something for the people of Salford."

The community plans include a possible rugby museum, featuring not just Salford Reds but Swinton, Broughton Rangers and Salfordian William Web Ellis, credited with inventing the game. It would also see acknowledgements of Francis Hodgson Burnett whose famous book, The Secret Garden, was written following visits to the Mansion, and a possible restoration of the Salford Mining Museum which the Council closed in the cuts of 2000.

There would also be radio and media training for local young people, a possible art and heritage centre and antiques market, a cafe and constant community activities in the currently derelict `jewel in the crown' of Salford...

"It ticks all the boxes" John explains "I've spoken to councillors and the MP who said they would back it; they're all saying 'It sounds great'...but nothing seems to be getting passed on. We want to work with the Council and we believe that the place could be packed out, that it could work as there's nothing around for local people.

"I don't mind even if they get in touch and say our bid is not sustainable, not good enough, and then at least we can we can move on" he adds "But we just haven't heard anything."

Meanwhile, Simon Williams of The Sounds of Salford Radio station, who also helped launch the community bid, is livid..

"We met them and they said 'Put an expression of interest in', and we did but there's been nothing since" he says "We were expecting them to tell us where we go from here; to get a survey or put in a business plan or something but they've not asked us for anything.

"We want to take kids off the streets and give them something, and provide a centre for local people" he adds "You'd think the Council would be grateful but they are just blanking us, and, it seems, not taking us seriously."

Buile Hill Mansion is still being advertised for sale on Urban Vision's website – with the closing date of September 16th 2016.


For a full background see previous Salford Star article - Salford Community Bid For Buile Hill Park Mansion - click here

Michael James Felse wrote
at 5:22:38 AM on Sunday, February 19, 2017
Sorry I have been away helping in Stoke. But in reply to Ray let me say I remember being attacked by homophobic abusers, left in a pool of blood unconscious in my 20s bleeding severely. You do not forget such attack and little comfort from those abusers getting maximum fine in court. Is this the type of "hardening up" the Ray man is suggesting? Salford must be no place for hate. Instead let us work in harmony to save this historic building and build a hate free community, free public transport for over 50s to reduce car journeys in cleaning the air we share and go back to weekly bin collections before we risk a public health epidemic.
 
part time socailst wrote
at 12:15:51 AM on Friday, February 17, 2017
Ray of sunshine please crawl back under your rock, the man is GAY so bloody what. Perhaps you should peddle your homophobic rants in somewhere like Syria someone like you would fit in well. The people on the site go on to discuss issues raised, the site is not a place for slime balls to peddle hate,
 
Michael James Felse wrote
at 12:15:37 AM on Friday, February 17, 2017
I agree with Mary. In fact me being partnered for 35 years in a monogamist relationship makes my sex life a none story. I trust Salford Star totally to keep us informed. As they do. Thank you.
 
mary Ferrer wrote
at 1:44:23 PM on Thursday, February 16, 2017
Never been able to understand why people write things,but never have the balls to put their names to their comments.I can't see how name calling has anything to do with this article. I just hope Salford council see sense and work with this community group.
 
Rayofsunshine wrote
at 1:44:04 PM on Thursday, February 16, 2017
It is not 'homophobic' to expose pond life , like Felse, who use The Gaydar Flag as "a get out of jail card" for whatever odious views they choose to peddle! When combating the Far Right, those on the left and people of good will need to toughen up!
 
Straight Talker wrote
at 9:01:30 AM on Thursday, February 16, 2017
Is that a homophobic comment from Rayofsunshine today?. Says a lot about how Labour actavists have crept down the gutter.
 
Rayofsunshine wrote
at 4:09:55 AM on Thursday, February 16, 2017
Michael J Felse is more "a cream puff" than a doughnut!
 
Real Salford Lad wrote
at 11:40:06 AM on Wednesday, February 15, 2017
So much for the Northern Powerhouse! These suits can't even organise a meeting! It is also worth noting that Buile Hill Park could be an Urban Ecology Park - it has a type of bee called the Tawny Mining Bee, the rare Manchester Poplar tree and a great selection of urban birds and habitats such as Marsh and wet woodland! Sparrowhawks, woodpeckers, Goldcrests, Nuthatch, Fieldfare, Chiffchaff, Foxes and Redwing all call the park home - look out for Luke Blazejewskis' new film "The Birds of Peel Park" to see how very important urban parks are for the Ecology of the city
 
wrote
at 6:28:16 AM on Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Meanwhile the "Friends of Buile Hill Park " have commissioned a clean up of the Sensory Gardens and it looks like the Greenhouse has started to get attention ............now call me a cynic but.....isnt this a bit of a coincidence ,,,we get ignored ,,,,the gardens get cleaned up .....a worker doing the clean up said to me there is a few after this........erm ......time will reveal all john defo catterall
 
wrote
at 6:28:06 AM on Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Hang your head in shame once again Salford City Council along with your side kicks at Urban Vision..... This was a community based museum and gave pleasure to us for decades,,,,,,,,,,,,,return it to us in the community , because you have once again proved NO BUILDING is safe in your hands and Urban Vision have pound signs etched on their eyeballs............
 
norma parkinson-Green wrote
at 1:05:30 AM on Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Come on Salford Council stop dithering and pass this Museum on to Salford people. It's been stood there doing nothing for years. As a child and a teenager I always frequented Buile Hill, the Museum and the Gardens at the back and loved it. So many people can and will benefit from the plans Salford Reds and The Sounds of Salford have. This building belongs to the people of Salford, give them the opportunity to say how they want it to be used which is the least you can do. If you truly want the people of Salford to have faith in the Council once more I recommend that you listen to them and act accordingly!
 
mary Ferrer wrote
at 1:27:18 PM on Tuesday, February 14, 2017
17 years ago the mining museum closed and The grade 2 listed Mansion was tinned up.over the years we have seen plans for hotels.one which would have seen a total change to our city wide park. Now we have a community based group who from the sounds of this article have the backing to see their project move forward. Why are Salford council not working with this group. If they leave the mansion tinned up for much longer it will become beyond repair.then the council will send in the health and safety police and knock it down.Please Salford council work with this group. Give them the chance to bring this beautiful building back to its former glory. Give it back to the people of Salford so generations to come have the opportunity to enjoy a little bit of our history and heritage. We haven't much left.
 
Momentum wrote
at 1:27:16 PM on Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Yeh right whothehell. If you blog on er u mustav hurd about old Felsie or av u bin livin in a cave
 
Who the hell is he!!! wrote
at 12:28:25 PM on Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Whi IS this Michael James Felse who DEMANDS things. Sounds a bit of a donought if you ask me!!
 
salford resident wrote
at 9:49:40 AM on Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Piss Poor show by the council and Urban Vision , i have heard of all the great work Salford Reds Foundation do and The Sounds of Salford for the local community , they should tell the council to give them the section 106 money they have gave up , be enough for 10 Musuems
 
Michael James Felse wrote
at 8:54:57 AM on Tuesday, February 14, 2017
The new Metro Mayor should take the building as the HQ for the Northern Power House Devolution HQ. This being a shared building with communities that will ensure the Greater Manchester Mayor stays in touch with real people. I still demand the Metro Mayor be an unpaid post with the massive cash instead going into fighting Cancer. Health must be a top agenda, the enormous budget of the Metro new Mayor will be enough to health improve 30,000 lives a year, free public transport for all over 50s will take 20,000 car trips a day off our local clogged roads and in the spirit of dignity I demand all the Metro Mayor hopefuls pledge together to keep The Grange open.
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
SLADS
Salford Live Events
Salford Star contact
Salford Star
Salford Star print
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE
Salford Lad - what sewer did you escape from? ... [more]
article: FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE
Salford Lad, if ignorance is bliss, you must go around with a permanent smile on your face. Also, can you point me in the directio... [more]
article: FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE
I totally agree the higher power are to blame . But as a human being. I would have gone any way and made my own personal and profe... [more]
article: FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE
Clearly the decision to hold the Fire Service teams in reserve was correct as they as it transpires were not needed. I know that t... [more]
article: FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE
maybe the reason you weren't called is that they were expecting other bombs and you were the second line of help... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

ARIANA GRANDE TO DO BENEFIT CONCERT IN MANCHESTER FOR BOMB VICTIMS

Star date: 26th May 2017

"WE WON'T LET HATE WIN" SAYS ARIANA

Ariana Grande has just issued a statement on Twitter saying that she will "be returning to the incredibly brave city of Manchester to spend time with my fans and to have a benefit concert in honor of and to raise money for the victims and their families".

The singer, whose fans were caught in Monday night's bomb blast at Manchester Arena, adds that "We will not quit or operate in fear...We won't let this divide us...We won't let hate win..."

Full details here...

MANCHESTER BOMB ATTACK SALFORD WITNESSES URGED TO SEEK SUPPORT

Star date: 26th May 2017

PHONE LINE SUPPORT FOR ARIANA GRANDE CONCERT GOERS AND WITNESSES

Loads of Salford people were at Monday night's Ariana Grande concert which was hit by a terrorist bomb, and now they are being urged to seek help from Victim Support on a special free hotline...

"If you were...there on the night or you witnessed the horror that unfolded, practical help and emotional support is also available to you" says Greater Manchester Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime Beverley Hughes.

Full details here...

WORLD OBSERVES MINUTES SILENCE FOR MANCHESTER BOMB VICTIMS

Star date: 25th May 2017

ST ANN'S SQUARE FALLS SILENT THEN UNITED AND CITY ANNOUNCE £1MILLION DONATION

A jam-packed St Ann's Square fell quiet at 11am this morning, as a one minute silence was observed throughout Manchester, Salford and the world for the victims of the Manchester bomb attack.

Greater Manchester Mayor, Andy Burnham, led Manchester Council workers from Albert Square to St Ann's Square, to join many hundreds of people paying respect. Afterwards, it was announced that Manchester United and Manchester City had made a joint donation of £1million to the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.

Full details here...

SALFORD RED DEVILS GIVE FREE MATCH ENTRY FOR BOMB RELIEF DONATIONS

Star date: 25th May 2017

SALFORD RED DEVILS DONATE ALL GATE MONEY TO MANCHESTER BOMB VICTIMS

Salford Red Devils are making their Friday night match against Catalans Dragons free entry, with fans asked to donate to the Manchester Bomb Relief Fund instead. Owner Marwan Koukash tweeted "For the @SalfordDevils game on Friday, just turn up, collect free ticket and make a donation for the victims of the Manchester attack".

Full details here...

FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE

Star date: 24th May 2017

A Salford Star Exclusive

'NEVER BEEN SO ASHAMED TO BE A FIREFIGHTER...'

"This is kids dying and us doing nothing"... "Never been so ashamed to be a firefighter"... "The public must think what the hell do we actually do apart from free smoke alarms if we don't even respond to this"... "Sat one mile from the incident watching it on telly..."

As the public, police and paramedics rushed to help victims, firefighters say they were held back by senior managers from attending the scene of the Manchester Arena bomb on Monday night.

An official investigation is underway which it is hoped will provide answers "whether it was operational decision or an error was made", the Fire Brigades Union told the Salford Star. Greater Manchester Mayor, Andy Burnham added: "I am aware of concerns from firefighters about the speed of the response to the terror attack…I am taking these concerns seriously."

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx